An early mention of Kehrig is recorded in January of 1103, when the Ravengiersburg cloister obtained "Kiracha" as well as other estates in the Maifeld region from the Stepansestift (religious institution such as a convent or monastery) in Mainz. At about the same time, the village is recorded as "Kirriche" in a document mentioning the nearby bridge over the Elz River. Yet a third spelling variation is found in 1138, when a document mentions the St. Thomas cloister near Andernach having land holdings in "Kerig."
A document from 1389 records that "Kieriche" near Mayen, along with other land holdings, was pawned to the Archbishop Werner von Trier in exchange for 700 guilders. In November of the same year Everhard von Hadamar (apparently having some kind of claim to the village) renounced all claims to "Kierch" near Mayen, in effect granting the archbishop sole rights to Kehrig.
A later document provided information on the owners of Kehrig in the fourteenth through sixteenth centuries. This document from 1531 states that officials of Kehrig declared in front of a notary and witnesses that they acknowledged only Werner vonGeisbusche, and no one else, as their sole lord and protector. In payment for this protection the townspeople delivered to him 21 malter of grain. This was in accordance with a contract dating from 1296.
The village originally did not belong to any particular judicial district. The inhabitants were subjects of either Trier or Virneburg, for which courts existed in Mayen or Monreal. At the request of the inhabitants of "Kerig," the village came under the jurisdiction of the court in Mayen on November 20th, 1699.
According to as description of "Kierich" written in 1498, the village had 42 fryrstede (residences or businesses for which fire protection was offered). At the same time it was also recorded that the inhabitants of Kehrig vowed allegiance to the lord of Trier. A record from 1563 lists only 25 residences or businesses, 17 of which belonged to the house of Mayen, while 8 belonged to the house of Monreal. This document likewise recognizes the electoral princes of Trier as having supreme power over the villages inhabitants.
Source: Die kurtrierischen Oberamter Mayen und Munstermaifeld (Bonn und Liepzig: Kurt Schroder Verlag, 1923), pp. 31-33
|Chronicle 900 Years Kehrig||
Send a Comment or an Email to the preparer.
Return to Table of Contents or Index or Search Page
Go to Previous Page